Blogs 26 Mar,2019
Upcycled Dining Table | Time to Upcycle Your Antique Furniture
No dining room is complete without a dining table, or is it? Even the furniture in your dining room, particularly the dining table shares a bond with your family, even if it’s just an upcycled dining table.
Dining Room: A place where Leisure and Levity Merge
Is there anything better than sharing good belly laughs, being silly and relaxing together at your dining table? Joking and laughing together not only promotes happier moods and gratitude but also improves family bonding. Now, is your dining table all worn out with years of usage and needs upcycling. Well, you have come to the right place for tips.
Laughter is particularly helpful in cold weather. Exactly how many people are better acquainted with cold weather than we British are?
Doesn’t matter how lovely your furniture was when you first bought it. Almost every item can tumble down over the years. This is where upcycling comes in. You can breathe a new life into your old dining room furniture with some basic additions and a handful of alternations.
Upcycling is a very cost-effective option. Are you now interested in upcycling your old furniture? If yes, then you certainly came to the right place.
It doesn’t matter if you are a complete beginner or a seasoned professional. You will find the most amazing upcycled dining table idea ever.
Upcycled Dining Table:
First of all, we’ll take a look at 4 important preparation tips:
Plan ahead by ensuring that you have the right equipment and tools required for the job. Ensuring that you have enough space so that you can move around easily is also important. You wouldn’t want to end up with varnish or paint down your legs.
Using drop cloths is also a good idea. Use of drop cloth would not only ensure the protection of your floor. But also eliminate the chances of your shoes to carry paint to other parts of the house.
Your Personal Style-aim
The gist of upcycling is to create your very own bespoke look. However, it does not mean that you have to change everything. Decide upon a cohesive colour scheme. Apply various colours on the dining table you want to upcycle.
Know What You’re Looking For
If you are searching for a dining table to upcycle and want to go for the traditional or a shabby chic style. Then I shall recommend you to look for items with wood, curves, trims and mouldings. Having trouble finding what you’re looking for?
Websites like Preloved or Gumtree can help you find the potential upcycling piece. The traditional options include charity shops, family attics, garages and car boot sales.
Take Brave Decisions
Taking chances always pays off when it comes to upcycling. For example, you can paint a pair of dull chairs bright primary red or yellow using gloss paint. Afterwards, if you get a feeling that you’ve overdone it then it would become easy to apply another coat of paint on it.
The point is, you just have to embrace experimentation and don’t have to worry about anything.
Now, the Fun Part Begins
I bet most of you believe that making your very own upcycled dining table is a laborious task. However, you would be amazed to know the possibility of what you can achieve within a couple of hours.
Let’s start With the Table, Shall we?
- If you want to go for a shabby chic look. The idea is to flip over the table and start painting the underside and the legs.
- After the paint dries, flip the table over and start sanding the table top.
- The idea behind going for the shabby chic look is to avoid painting after every couple of months. Because the paint can get stained/ marked easily.
- So, after you’re done sanding, you can start waxing the top. I would personally recommend the Annie Sloan wax.
- Sanding the table is quite easy. However, if you’ve got multiple varnish layers on it from multiple owners or years of own personal use. You are recommended to use some elbow grease. My personal recommendation here would be Ryobi palm sander.
- For the people who are not into the shabby chic look. All you have to do is to get sanding right away.
- Getting the shiny finish off is important before you start painting.
- After you have finished sanding. Pick up a paint sprayer and start painting. I know painting with a paint sprayer can be a little bumpy for an untrained hand but super smooth for a professional.
- A couple of coats would be enough for the table top. However, you will have to make sure that the paint dries before you start applying the second coat.
Now for the Chairs
- Chairs can turn out to be beasts. A bit tricky to tame. Sanding them can be quite difficult. The trick is to give each chair light sanding. It would allow the paint to stick easily to the wood.
- After sanding, apply a good coat of quality acrylic undercoat and primer. It’s important that you don’t buy a cheap one.
- Pick up your paint sprayer and pour a quarter of a cup of fresh water in the paint cup.
- Fill paint up to 750 ml. line and shake it well.
- Max amount should be mixed up if you are to paint 6 chairs.
- If the sprayer has been used before, you should strain the paint first. You should do it to ensure that there is no trash or clumps in it.
- Bottoms of the chairs should be painted first. After the paint dries, flip the chairs afterwards and finish the rest.
- Remember to use a couple of coats on the chairs as well. It’s better if you’ll use chalky based paint because it dries up quickly.
- By the time you’ll finish painting all 6 chairs. The first one would be dried up and ready for the second coat.
- Perform a thorough inspection of the chairs. Ensure that you didn’t miss out on any of the spots.
- If you’re a first timer and realized that you missed a spot afterwards. You can use a paint brush to cover it.
Voila, your upcycled dining table is ready for use.
Upcycled Furniture Before and After
The round Sadness, the table was just screaming for an upcycle. But it was hardly beyond redemption.
See how I upcycled this worn out antique table into an awe-inspiring dining table by following the above-mentioned idea.
Truly amazing what a little sanding, wax and paint can do to a table.
Before and After
The chairs were begging for an upcycle and waiting for me to rescue them from a boring finish.
Look what a fresh coat of Annie Sloan wax did. The durable leather will also ensure easy clean-up and longevity.
Things that a human being is capable of doing in just a couple of hours are truly amazing. Buying a brand new dining table would require you to spend a lot of money. However, if you spend a little under £100, you can have an upcycled dining table. Transforming an old furniture item into a new one is truly a wonderful way to save money.
Did you enjoy reading the blog? I’m sure that you will find these tips extremely useful. Better yet, you will have your own little story to share with your friends and colleagues. Do you fancy buying new oak dining room furniture? You can even buy your new oak furniture online. Just visit Furniture Villa and buy your furniture with the comfort of sitting at home. Cheerio.